“One thing just led to another.” You just wanted to fix a leaky faucet, and now you find yourself neck-deep in a gutted kitchen. For many of us, our beliefs have taken a similar path—it started with a single question we couldn’t answer, and now we’re staring at the wreckage of what used to be our faith. Join us as Brian talks about how to rebuild the ruins.
The Weekend Follow-Up
1) What’s your best (or worst) experience building Legos? Or have you just stepped on them at night?
2) Read John 20:24-29. How does it feel hearing that God welcomes our doubts? What areas of your faith does that knowledge invite you to explore?
3) If you have deconstructed your faith in some way, which of the 5 Reasons for Deconstruction (Terrible Teaching, Church Trauma, Too Much Going On, Desire to Sin, or I Don’t Like My Life) that Brian outlined have you experienced in your own life? Describe the experience to the group.
4) Read 1 Corinthians 3:10-11. Brian said that the foundational question we should build our faith on is “Jesus, who are You and what are You about?” What questions can you ask or beliefs can you confront this week to build your faith on the foundation of who Jesus is and about?
5) Now close your time in prayer. Here’s an example: “Lord, thank you for coming to us in our doubts, our fears, and our traumas. Thank you for providing your Son, who not only saved us but gave us a firm foundation to build our lives on. Please give us strength to live in uncertainty, that is, to live in faith, rather than in the comfort of human systems and traditions and philosophies. You are our rock, our cornerstone. Amen.”
More from the weekend:
Read John 1:14. At Crossroads we’re about the power of God who transforms lives. Everyday we’re getting outside ourselves trying to make a difference in the world. One way we do this is partnering with organizations who literally are changing the world everyday. If you want to jump in and start giving risk free, you can try the 90 day tithe test here.
Nov 12, 2021