Beans and Rice Week
Eat cheaply, starting March 14-15
2014 #beansandriceweek Total
Over the last two years, we’ve experimented by rearranging our eating habits and eating beans and rice for the span of seven days. The results have been incredible and our community has raised over $870,000 for a number of fantastic organizations outside of Crossroads. Amazing.
For the third consecutive year, the beans are back. Beginning the weekend of March 7-8, you’ll begin hearing some context on the weekend and the hoopla will begin the week of March 16. We’ll be saving our cash by eating beans and rice, then investing that money in four great efforts outside of Crossroads. If this is your first year or if you’d like to get inspired from a few sweet recipes, learn more here. If you have dietary restrictions, or maybe a pre-planned birthday dinner, then by all means do what makes sense for you.
How It Works
Include beans and rice on your shopping list. Tip: canned beans are easier to prepare since dry beans require soaking them for 24 hours. Eat beans and rice for as many meals the week of March 16, and save the cash you’d normally spend on food. The following weekend, you can give that cash in one of four ways:
- Write a check. Put “beans and rice” on the memo line and bring your check to service on March 21 & 22.
- Bring cash. It doesn’t matter if it’s a pile of fives or a crapload of dimes, you can hand it off in the service.
- Give (early) via computer. Go to crossroads.net/give. Select “One-Time Gift” (you’ll be asked to log in), and select “Beans and Rice.”
- Give via smartphone or tablet. Go to crossroads.net/give and select “Beans and Rice.”
Where the Money Goes
All the cash goes to outside organizations busy changing the world.
City Gospel Mission helps the homeless and hurting in our city break the cycle of poverty and despair. We’re proud to partner with them in the fight against poverty throughout the year. This spring, they’re moving to a new location, expanding their services and their impact. We’re excited to help finish their capital campaign and enable them to move into their new facility. Learn more at citygospelmission.org.
Foster Care & Adoption
Kids in the foster care system are the most vulnerable in our city—60% of kids in sex slavery were part of the foster care system, 30% of homeless adults and 25% of prisoners were once foster children. Imagine, instead, they had a place to call home and a family to care for them. Coalition of Care fights for these kids and mobilizes Christ-followers to join them. Learn more at coalitionofcare.org.
Heroin addiction is ravaging our communities. That is not OK. We took a swing at attacking this epidemic last year, but the problem is so big we’re investing again in great, local organizations who are on the front lines of the anti-heroin fight.
Economic DevelopmentOCEAN is the first independent faith-based accelerator in the U.S. and it’s located right here in our city. They believe community and faith play an important role in a successful startup business. Last year, OCEAN invited ten startup businesses to be part of their accelerator program—this year we’ll invest again to help spur business and economic growth in our community. Learn more at oceanaccelerator.com.
Your To-Do List
1. Eat beans & rice for as many meals as you can the week of March 16, and save the cash you’d normally spend on food. If a typical lunch looks like a $7.50 sub from Jersey Mike’s, and one meal’s worth of beans & rice ends up costing you 25 cents, then you give the $7.25 difference for that meal. Repeat and continue throughout the week. This math is so simple, even musicians can do it.
3. Give as you go OR save your cash throughout the week.
On March 21 & 22, we’ll pool our cash together during weekend services. And we’ll announce the total amount raised on March 28 & 29.
Eating on the cheap is so much more fun when all your friends are doing it, too—and this is more than just a Crossroads’ thing. Share your beans and rice experience and see the impact that a small community can have in a few short days:
- View, share recipes and give encouragement on our Facebook wall.
- Share your experience on Instagram by including #beansandriceweek with your photos.
- Share your experience on Twitter by including #beansandriceweek or @crdschurch.
- Email your mobile videos to email@example.com.
- You can also spend time connecting with God on a daily basis and get recipes throughout the week by subscribing to The Daily.
- Drag the below profile pic, newsfeed or cover image onto your desktop and promote it on your Facebook and/or Instagram accounts for the next couple weeks.
Facebook profile pic
Newsfeed image for Facebook or Instagram
Facebook cover image