Beans and Rice Week
Eat cheaply, starting April 5-6
Last year, we experimented by eating beans and rice, and the results were incredible. Here’s last year’s recap video to jog your memory. We raised $377,036.06 for three fantastic organizations in the span of seven days just by rearranging our eating habits. Amazing. (Watch the entire weekend message here.)
This year, the beans are back. On the weekend of April 5-6, you should’ve received a starter kit on your way out of service and that’s when the hoopla began. We’ll be saving our cash by eating beans and rice, then investing that money in four great efforts outside of Crossroads. If this is your first year or if you’d like to get inspired from a few sweet recipes, learn more here. If you have dietary restrictions, or maybe a pre-planned birthday dinner, then by all means do what makes sense for you.
How It Works
Include beans and rice on your shopping list. Tip: canned beans are easier to prepare since dry beans require soaking them for 24 hours. Eat beans and rice for as many meals the week of April 7, and save the cash you’d normally spend on food. The following weekend, you can give that cash in one of four ways:
- Write a check. Put “beans and rice” on the memo line and bring your check to service on April 12-13.
- Bring cash. It doesn’t matter if it’s a pile of fives or a crapload of dimes, you can hand it off in the service.
- Give (early) via computer. Go to crossroads.net/give. Select “One-Time Gift” (you’ll be asked to log in), and select “Beans and Rice.”
- Give via smartphone or tablet. Go to crossroads.net/give and select “Beans and Rice.”
Where the Money Goes
All the cash goes to outside organizations busy changing the world.
CityLink Center surrounds Cincinnati’s unemployed and working poor with a team of expert, integrated services and holistic care. It’s a bold organization taking on poverty in our city. Learn more at citylinkcenter.org.
This drug is ravaging our local communities. And that is not okay. We’re investing in great local organizations that are doing anti-heroin work in the backyards of each of our sites.
We will help provide meals, education and recreational programming for low-income youth during summer vacation. This is a time when many students lose knowledge and skills, and don’t have access to healthy meals and safe environments. Learn more at whole-again.org.
The Ocean Accelerator is a business incubator program to help launch sustainable, job-creating companies. Its mentorship program is built on biblical wisdom and principles, helping entrepreneurs start successful Kingdom-focused businesses.
Your To-Do List
1. Eat beans & rice for as many meals as you can the week of April 7, and save the cash you’d normally spend on food. If a typical lunch looks like a $7.50 sub from Jersey Mike’s, and one meal’s worth of beans & rice ends up costing you 25 cents, then you give the $7.25 difference for that meal. Repeat and continue throughout the week. This math is so simple, even musicians can do it.
2. Make this page part of your daily routine and check back for inspiration and family tips.
3. Give as you go OR save your cash throughout the week.
On April 12 & 13, we’ll pool our cash together during weekend services. And we’ll announce the total amount raised on Easter weekend.
Eating on the cheap is so much more fun when all your friends are doing it, too—and this is more than just a Crossroads’ thing. Share your beans and rice experience and see the impact that a small community can have in a few short days:
- View, share recipes and give encouragement on our Facebook wall.
- Share your experience on Instagram by including #beansandriceweek with your photos.
- Share your experience on Twitter by including #beansandriceweek or @crdschurch.
- Email your mobile videos to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You can also spend time connecting with God on a daily basis and get recipes throughout the week by subscribing to The Daily.
- Drag the below profile pic, newsfeed or cover image onto your desktop and promote it on your Facebook and/or Instagram accounts for the next couple weeks.
Facebook profile pic
Newsfeed image for Facebook or Instagram
Facebook cover image