Beans and Rice Hub
A farty, carby ROI experiment starting 3.24.13
This weekend, we shared the incredible Beans & Rice Week results. Even if you were there, it's worth saying all over again. We raised $377,036.06 in the span of seven days! Just by rearranging our eating habits! Amazing. This blew away our staff's guesses. This blew away the expectations of our partner organizations. Well done, team. Well done.
This week, let’s save our cash by eating beans and rice, then invest that money in three great efforts outside of Crossroads. You should’ve received a starter kit of beans and rice on your way out of the service this weekend and that’s when the hoopla begins.To-Do List this week
- Eat beans & rice for as many meals as you can this week, and save the cash you’d normally spend on food.
- Make this page part of your daily routine and check back for inspiration and family tips.
- Give as you go OR save your cash throughout the week
Next weekend (Easter), we’ll pool our cash and invest in three organizations called out below. We’ll announce the totals the following weekend on April 6 & 7.
*We want everyone in on this, but be healthy. If you have dietary restrictions, don’t overdo it.
Where the Money Goes
All the beans and rice money is going outside Crossroads:
- Cincinnati Recreation Foundation. We’re investing in the CRF to keep community pools open on Sunday, when they’d normally be closed.
- The Strive Partnership. Recent studies show that preschool is the single biggest factor in a child’s chance of success later in life. So we’re investing in The Strive Partnership’s “preschool promise” to help speed up the implementation of their program to provide quality preschool for more local children.
- Compassion International. We’re investing so more children can stay connected to the program–even when their sponsors stop or never start fulfilling their commitments.
- Read more information about all three charities.
How to Give
Eat beans and rice for as many meals as you can this week, and save the cash you’d normally spend on food. Next weekend, you can give that cash in one of four ways:
- Write a check. Put “beans and rice” on the memo line and bring your check to an Easter service.
- Bring cash. It doesn’t matter if it’s a pile of fives or a crapload of dimes, you can hand it off in the service.
- Give (early) via computer. Go to crossroads.net/give. Select “One-Time Gift” (you’ll be asked to log in), and select “Beans and Rice Week Fund.”
- Give via smartphone or tablet. Go to crossroads.net/give and select “Beans and Rice Week Fund.”
Recipes of the day
- 3.24.13: Chef Tsvika Silberberg’s Recipe
- 3.25.13: Italian Wedding Soup (vegetarian)
- 3.26.13: Curried Lentils over Rice
- 3.27.13: Red Beans and Rice
- 3.27.13: Chef Falk serves up a tasty dish
- 3.28.13: 15 Bean soup
- 3.28.13: Chef Wright serves up a tasty dish
- 3.29.13: Cuban Black Bean Soup
- 3.29.13: Chef Daly serves up a tasty dish
- 3.30.13: Chef Todd Kelly serves up a tasty dish
- 3.30.13: Chef Bao Nguyen serves up a tasty dish
Spread the Love
Eating on the cheap is so much more fun when all your friends are doing it, too—and this is more than just a Crossroads’ thing. Share your beans and rice experience and see the impact that a small community can have in a few short days:
- View, share recipes and give encouragement on our Facebook wall.
- Share your experience on Instagram by including #beansandriceweek with your photos.
- Share your experience on Twitter @crdschurch.
- Email your YouTube videos or from your phone to email@example.com.
- Click on our Facebook or Twitter links at the bottom of this page and promote this experiment amongst your family and friends.
- You can also spend time connecting with God on a daily basis and get recipes throughout the week by subscribing to The Daily.